STAND! started in 1977 with a dedicated group of volunteers working out of a utility closet, serving domestic violence victims with a single phone line. Today, volunteers still play a huge role in supporting our mission to end the cycle of family violence. From the Crisis Line and the Emergency Response Team to the Kinship program and beyond, volunteers contribute to every aspect of our work. We wanted to know what inspired our volunteers to keep giving back, so we asked what made them proud to be a part of STAND! this past year.
I was proud to be part of STAND this past year because…
1. "I was able to see to caregivers and their families having food every week. I make sure they get the best of what we get from Contra Costa County Food Bank. They will never get anything that I wouldn’t use myself."
2. "The Kinship program makes such a difference in the lives of the children and their caregivers."
3. "The Development department is a great team to work with."
4. "STAND! saved lives and helped many people get out of bad relationships and move on to better situations. By answering the Crisis Line I was able to assist some of them with this transition personally."
5. "Recurring training with dedicated staff and volunteers. Glad to be able to volunteer, and proud of the mission of STAND!"
6. "Working on the Crisis Line I was proud to be there for victims just to listen to their stories. I am also proud that I attempted to work in an area outside my comfort zone."
To find out how you can volunteer with STAND!, click here.